Hi,

Am 08.03.21 um 00:42 schrieb Christoph Loesch:
Hi,

with dnsmasq (version 2.80 on current OpenWRT 19.07.7) I noticed following (in
my opinion wrong) behaviour:

when using the setting "dhcp-boot=/pxelinux.0,servername,192.168.1.123" the DHCP Offer/ACK packets
sent do not contain the "Boot file name" in the header but "Option: (67) Bootfile name"
is set.

it's not "wrong" in my opinion, however, there are still many legacy / broken
clients out there which don't conform to the DHCP standard completely,
and only check the classic BOOTP headers. A noteworthy quite recent example is
Grub2, which only learnt this in 2019:

https://github.com/rhboot/grub2/commit/93289dc67c7e213b21df0eb09afea5e3b00ad7df#diff-93cd75cf8712d66c15ae5885f7cac5dae3531aaef211a17ef9885eb443ecdb0b

Some DHCP clients, who read Option 67 can work with that, but some clients like
PXE do not read that option therefor are failing for first tftp file rrq.

As I could not find a git commit regarding a fix for this, I wanted to ask if
someone can confirm (and/or possibly fix) this on recent dnsmasq version?

I also have such legacy clients in use. The option "dhcp-no-override" forces
dnsmasq to use the classic BOOTP headers.
Note that in general, using the dedicated options for servername and filename
is preferrable, since it allows to reuse the space in the headers for options,
but if you have legacy clients (as we also have) you have to set
"dhcp-no-override".

Does this also solve your issue?

Cheers,
        Oliver