Hi,

I'm using dnsmasq 2.85 on an Ubi Edgerouter, with DHCP hosts setup in
dnsmasq.d. This is an ipv4 only setup. Here's an example of one of the hosts:
dhcp-host=<MAC>,set:LAN,192.168.122.2
host-record=tv.home.lan,192.168.122.2,3600

Here is a snippet of dnsmasq.conf, where 1.1.1.1 is a public DNS server:
interface=eth4
cache-size=1000
server=1.1.1.1
no-resolv

My Ubuntu client sends both an A and an AAAA DNS query for tv.home.lan when I
say ping it. If the router has internet connectivity and can access 1.1.1.1,
everything works great and I am able to successfully resolve the device over
LAN. I get a standard query response for A with 192.168.122.2 and an expected
blank standard query response for AAAA (no error).
Unfortunately, if my internet is down and I can't access 1.1.1.1, what happens
is that I get a regular response for A but I get a "refused" standard query
response for AAAA. That "refused" response causes programs like ping to hang if
I say ping tv.home.lan as it keeps trying repeatedly to get a successful AAAA
response from the server. I have to use ping -4 to force only the A request to
get it to ping successfully. I think dnsmasq refuses me because it's unable to
resolve the ipv6 request on LAN (as the hosts are ipv4 only) but there is no
upstream server for it to pass the request along.
My current workaround is to set "local=/lan/" to force dnsmasq to ignore the
upstream servers entirely when responding to requests for .lan domains. In this
case if 1.1.1.1 is unavailable I get an IP address for the A request and a
blank standard query response for AAAA, which is what I expect.
All of the requests and responses above were confirmed with Wireshark. I don't
expect any patches for 2.85 and am unsure if this is fixed in future versions,
but I would like to know if this is intended behavior or if there is a better
workaround.
Thanks!