Am 20.03.23 um 18:15 schrieb Paul Constantine:
So here is my DNSMASQ problem.
I'm running to VirtualBox Ubuntu 16.04 servers on two seperate 2011
mac mini servers (macos High Sierra).

That's your first problem, unmaintained obsolete OS and likewise
dnsmasq. 18.04 which is also dying shipped dnsmasq 2.79. That's long
gone. Likely that also affects your web server.

Ubuntu maintain a very very small fraction of available packages for
five years -- only the "main" series. But dnsmasq is in Ubuntu's
"universe" series, where "supported" is promising too much. With some
luck, you may receive updates for a few months. I've left Ubuntu behind
because usually bug reports against packages would expire for my reports.

Upgrade.

Each of the two VirtualBox Ubuntu servers runs a LAMP website (Drupal
based) and a DNSMASQ dns server.
The network is controlled by a Fritz!Box 7590. In the configuration
the two different DNSMASQ servers are listed instead of the standard
provider DNS.

So far so good. This setup seemed to have worked for hals a year. Then
recently I had to restore one of the VirtualBox servers. And now it
only works somewhat. In short:

Check if the ip addresses still work, and if the MAC addresses in your
router changed in the VBox re-setup.

Other than that, nobody will be able to help you on your software
museum. Update.