Hey Simon,

On Thu, 2023-03-30 at 18:28 +0100, Simon Kelley wrote:
> I just merged the branch I've been working on for the last week which
> includes this patch, but much modified because the surrounding code has
> changed. The function is unaltered.
>
> The other changes are adding the ability to cache any RR-type, and the
> ability to filter any RR-type. There's quite a bit of code cleanup in
> the affected code paths too.

The new man page says:
> By default, dnsmasq caches A, AAAA, CNAME and SRV DNS
record types. This option adds other record types to the
cache. [...]

I wonder how useful this really is. Won't it cause config
files to explode with lines like (possibly line-per-line):
--cache-
rr=NS,MD,MF,SOA,MB,MG,MR,NULL,WKS,PTR,HINFO,MINFO,MX,TXT,RP,
AFSDB,X25,ISDN,RT,NSAP,NSAP_PTR,SIG,KEY,PX,GPOS,LOC,NXT,EID,
NIMLOC,ATMA,NAPTR,KX,CERT,A6,DNAME,SINK,OPT,APL,DS,SSHFP,IPS
ECKEY,RRSIG,NSEC,DNSKEY,DHCID,NSEC3,NSEC3PARAM,TLSA,SMIMEA,H
IP,NINFO,RKEY,TALINK,CDS,CDNSKEY,OPENPGPKEY,CSYNC,ZONEMD,SVC
B,HTTPS,SPF,UINFO,UID,GID,UNSPEC,NID,L32,L64,LP,EUI48,EUI64,
TKEY,TSIG,IXFR,AXFR,MAILB,MAILA,ANY,URI,CAA,AVC,DOA,AMTRELAY
,TA,DLV

if I want to cache all types known to dnsmasq by name (yes,
this does not include proprietary extensions by numbers). It
also seems inefficient to always loop over these 86 RR types
when we check if this RR is to be cached.

Looking at this new option, it seems really counter-
intuitive to specify "I want to cache ANY but not TXT". Is
there a real-world scenario where someone would not like to
cache a specific type? I suppose these queries should
arguably have a TTL of 0 from upstream to prevent caching.

My feeling is that we should really have at least a shortcut
to specify "cache everything you can". May this be "--cache-
rr" without options, some special "--cache-rr=all" or maybe
a dedicated option like "--cache-all".

Others than that - thanks for working on this! I already
started testing (using the long command above) and will
report any oddities I come across.

Best,
Dominik