I think that is required by SLAAC RFC, which adds another 2 bytes to 6 bytes of hardware ethernet address.

Which is in total 8 bytes, therefore 64 bits is required for it. Prefix cannot be higher, but can be lower in theory. There might be some implementation details now supporting lower prefix length in current implementation.

Cheers,
Petr