Hello,

I use dnsmasq partly because it's lightweight DNS server, partly because most of router firmwares provide it as DNS/DHCP server.

On 13.09.23 20:18, TRUNKLES via Dnsmasq-discuss wrote:
I'd like to start by just asking a simple question I've not managed to find an answer to anywhere else: are /etc/ethers and /etc/hosts supposed to supersede dynamic IP allocaiton?

I don't think anything is supposed to supersede dynamic allocation.
I use /etc/hosts and /etc/ethers as a bit more universal way to achieve static DHCP allocation.

the upside is that /etc/hosts is used by system libraries to resolve hosts even if DNS is not running.

Suppose I have all of my "known" devices (MAC addresses) in /etc/ethers, are those supposed to appear to dnsmasq as implicit --dhcp-host= declarations, to take precedence over dynamic host IP allocation as provided by --dhcp-range= statements in the conf file?

I am sure both hosts/ethers and --dhcp-host declaration override dhcp-range, because dhcp-range is only to be used for hosts undefined in the above.

I'm not sure whether --dhcp-host overrides /etc/hosts and /etc/ethers, but logically I'd expect that explicit dnsmasq configuration would override system settings.

And as for the things that don't work at all part: As deployed, probably badly configured by me, dnsmasq is apparently recognising the /etc/ethers entry and matching it with /etc/hosts, because that shows up and looks good in /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leaes, but then, also allocating it a dynamic IP address, which results in entries like this:

1694633632 41:c4:b7:ff:16:a3 192.168.111.126 192.168.111.20 # media-server *

That not only looks wrong, but is wrong enough that if I stop dnsmasq and then restart it, it refuses to run until I've deleted that file. Clearly, I've done something terrible somewhere, but I still find it interesting that dnsmasq would produce a lease file that is so wrong that it segfaults upon trying to read it back upon restart.

yes, this looks wrong. web search for dhcp.leases file format returns:

https://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2006q2/000732.html

However I have no idea how you came to this problem, you should have version 2.86 installed:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=dnsmasq

Are you sure that only dnsmasq modified dhcp.leases file?

I don't have lysdexia. The Dog wouldn't allow that.