I'm seeing what looks like cached CNAME records overriding addresses set with --address.

Setup: using a version since 2.86 (I used 2.89) override A records for an upstream domain with --address but allow other queries for the domain to be forwarded upstream.

When querying A records for a name that the upstream returns CNAME for, the response is initially the expected overridden address. However, after requesting AAAA records and getting a CNAME response, further queries for A records return the CNAME record.

As long as other record types are not wanted, this can be mitigated by restoring the previous behavior with --local, as per the manpage.