My DD-WRT file system is mounted read only (squisFS and/or RAMfs),so I can not
modify resolv.conf, dnsmasq.conf, or smartdns.conf

However, from the DD-WRT gui interface I can pass dnsmasqcommand line arguments
on startup via an edit text filed box.

-->   How do I add name servers for dnsmasq to use from the command line?

As an example, attempting to add the external nameserver 1.1.1.1, I have
tried...
--server=1.1.1.1-S --server=1.1.1.1-S, --server=1.1.1.1

All three of them make dnsmasq fail ungracefully at startup.

The DD-WRT Gui interface allows me to add only up to 3 DNS nameservers,
but I would like to add about 50...

The DNSmasq man page is unclear how to simply add an EXTERNAL DNS server IP to
dnsmasq via the command line and does not provide any example of how to do so.
I can't find an example of how to do so anywhere on the net...