Hello Dean,

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 12:07:48AM -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, 31 May 2007, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> >
> > The popular TCP Wrapper package was originally conceived to discover
> > the network location of an attacker [Venema1992].
>
> No. Early TCP wrappers just provided logs of activity, and then later to
> provide access control.

You may have overlooked the sentence in the paper that says, "I
decided, however, that it would be more productive to maintain the
service and to find out where the finger requests were coming from."
(p1)  In any case, the distinction between "discover the network
location of an attacker" and "provide logs of activity" seems to me to
be mostly one of a matter of narravtive abstraction.  Given that this
is intended to be a quick narrative history, I think the "intentional"
level of abstraction is the right one, so I will leave this alone
unless I hear support from the Working Group for your alternative
gloss.

> The TCP wrapper program did not succeed at stopping nameserver spoofing,
> nor could it.

I don't believe anyone claimed it did; and if you have evidence that
the proposed text says it did, I would surely like to correct it.

> know that. This is the origin of the reverse DNS "security" myth.

What you regard as a myth others regard as a useful clue.  That's the
nice thing about the Internet: we can all use the information we get
out at the edges to do the things appropriate to our judgement and
conditions.  The caveat is that this requires smart, well-informed
operators who can agree to disagree about one another's practices, so
long as none of the practices are harmful.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                              M2P 2A8
jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                 +1 416 646 3304 x4110