Dear colleagues,

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 12:07:34PM -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:

> I'm working on a longer analysis of the issues and the dispute.

I'm becoming frustrated by this discussion for two reasons.

First, there is precious little discussion in this thread of the
proposal on the table -- whether to adopt the draft in question as a
WG document.  It seems to me that getting past that hurdle is the task
at hand, and it'd be real nice if we could make such a determination.
A subsidiary issue is the one of whether another draft should be
partially subsumed under the draft in question.  Those actually seem
to me to be two different questions, and they could surely be handled
separately.  But even if we suppose that they should be handled
together, I imagine that discussion of the proposed text(s) would be
better than long, unguided discussion on the meta-issues.

Which brings me to my second problem.  As nearly as I can tell, there
are no clear conflict of interest guidelines for working groups in
general, and the IETF has previously concluded that such a state of
affairs is a good thing.  Instead, the principle has been that working
group members (i.e. everybody participating) should make their
arguments and see whther they get the support of the WG community; and
then follow the usual chain of appeals in the event they are
unsatisfied.  I spent only a few hours doing that research, so I may
well have overlooked something; but that was the general view I was
able to put together.  Information to the contrary would be welcome.

If I'm right about this, then this is an internal matter for the
working group, and so far I'm not seeing a lot of support for the idea
that there is a real conflict of interest in this particular case.  A
strong argument that interests in _fact_ conflict, rather than in
principle (which principle I don't so far understand in its
application, but that's a detail), would perhaps convince me of an
alternative point of view.

I observe at the same time that I support the state of affairs as I
understand it to be; that is, I don't think it possible that
meaningful work on technical standards in the (almost entirely
volunteer) IETF is even possible without a great deal of in-principle
conflict of interest in the usual, political way.  Everybody here had
_better_ be deeply interested in the outcomes, or we're producing
garbage.  I suppose this is why there is a traditional supposition
around the IETF that people are speaking for themselves and not their
employers, and why affiliation declarations are often not made at the
microphone during meetings.

Therefore, if I am correct that there are not current guidelines in
respect of conflicts of interest in working groups, and some people
think there should be, I encourage those people to make a
process-change submission to the IETF generally in the form of an
Internet Draft.  It will then be up to the wider IETF community
whether we want such a change to happen.  Since some of those bringing
complaints have lately joined the group of people willing to prepare
I-Ds, I am eagerly anticipating the publication of such a draft.

If there is just a disagreement within the working group, then
presumably the relevant structures of the community (in this case, the
AD, since one Chair is the object of the accusation and the other has
already recused himself on the topic) should be brought to bear on the
topic, either here on list or in whatever fora appropriate according
to IETF tradition.  Without that, I can't see that even longer
discussion about the accusations and reasoning for them is a topic for
this list.

Best regards,

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                              M2P 2A8
jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                 +1 416 646 3304 x4110