On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 06:34:38AM +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:

>       Multiple PTR records do not scale.

        what does that mean Mark?

        why does "Multiple A records" scale and not others?
        is this a DNS protocol issue or an implementation artifact?

>       Today we have reverse lookups that fail because people
>       followed this path and exceeded the 64K DNS message size
>       of TCP.

        and the same failure would be true for multiple instances
        of any RR type.

>       When people have a 100 thousand virtual domains on a
>       box you just can't have PTR records for all of them.

        and apparently you can't have A records for them either.

>       Mark

        so the actual spec limit is any mixture of RR types that
        will fit into a 64k DNS message on TCP.  Right?

--bill