> On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 06:34:38AM +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:
> >
> >     Multiple PTR records do not scale.
>
>       what does that mean Mark?
>
>       why does "Multiple A records" scale and not others?
>       is this a DNS protocol issue or an implementation artifact?

        Multiple PTR records scale worse than multiple A records.

        You get ~4000 A records in 64K.
        You get ~2000 AAAA records in 64K.

> >     Today we have reverse lookups that fail because people
> >     followed this path and exceeded the 64K DNS message size
> >     of TCP.
>
>       and the same failure would be true for multiple instances
>       of any RR type.

        Yes.  It's just very very rare for there to be enough of
        the other types to cause a problem.

        It's not uncommon for there to be too many PTR records to
        cause a problem especially when you start advocating that
        each address records needs a corresponding PTR record.  The
        only reason we don't see more problems is that people have
        been saying that it is a waste of time to have multiple PTR
        records.

> >     When people have a 100 thousand virtual domains on a
> >     box you just can't have PTR records for all of them.
>
>       and apparently you can't have A records for them either.
>

> >     Mark
>
>       so the actual spec limit is any mixture of RR types that
>       will fit into a 64k DNS message on TCP.  Right?
>
> --bill
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]