At 11:13 PM +0200 9/1/08, bert hubert wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 04:49:12PM -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
>>  On Sun, 31 Aug 2008, David Conrad wrote:
>>
>>  > 5. I suspect having encryption will make getting export licenses more
>>  > complicated.
>>
>>  6. Ellipctic Curve is patent encumbered
>
>Perhaps http://cr.yp.to/ecdh/patents.html can shed some light.

Or perhaps not. Dan's views of what facts are obvious for patents are
irrelevant to whether or not someone would want to challenge a
patent-holder in a costly patent fight; my view are equally
irrelevant. If Dan's views are correct, many developers who stayed
away from implementing EC due to patent concerns would have now
started using EC with his curve due to EC's positive properties
(faster, less CPU intensive, smaller messages, and so on). A look at
the market in the three years since Dan introduced Curve25519 will
show that there has been essentially no significant increase. This
does not mean that Dan's views of the patent are wrong; it shows that
vendors are so risk-averse that his views (and my views...) are
irrelevant to the market.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium