On Sep 3, 2008, at 8:13 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 11:33:54AM +1000,
> Mark Andrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> a message of 24 lines which said:
>
>>      A NXDOMAIN response if cyptographically proved with DNSSEC.

> 2) You are playing with words.
>
> "The domain example.org does not exist" can be cyptographically proved
> with DNSSEC, that's correct. But you need NSEC* records to do so, you
> cannot directly sign a NXDOMAIN response.

Mark is not playing with words. His statement is absolutely correct.
He did not state nor imply that the NXDOMAIN response is _signed_, nor
that rcode=3 (name error) is _signed_.

The header is indeed not signed with DNSSEC. The header includes the
RCODE, therefor the RCODE is not signed.

What can be _proved_ by validating a combination of records (an
NXDOMAIN response), is that the rcode=3 (name error) is correct or not.

I see Mark's message as a clarification, not a rebuttal.

Roy