Dear colleagues,

I mentioned that I would request some feedback about
draft-liman-tld-names-00.txt from the idnabis WG participants.  I got
some remarks, off-list and not about the particular BiDi issue I was
wondering about, from John Klensin.  He told me he doesn't have time
to engage here, but told me to feel free to pass along his comments.
Any mistakes in the statement of his position are mine, and I
apologise in advance if I don't get this right.  Nevertheless, I think
he has a point worth considering.

John's view is that the original "alphabetic restriction" in 1123 was
indeed intended as a restriction, and that top-level labels were in
fact intended only ever to be characters of the ASCII alphabet.  He
argues that it is a good idea to be as restrictive as possible in the
top level, and that therefore it would be a wise idea to broaden the
"alphabetic restriction" as little as possible.

His suggestion is to re-iterate the alphabetic-only criterion,
except to allow one extension to permit A-labels conforming to
IDNA2008 (which work, note, is not yet complete).  In addition, I
think he believes that the document should also require that any
U-label that is to correspond with an A-label that is added to the
root zone must _also_ be alphabetic.

The reasoning behind this is that the root zone occupies a very
sensitive place in the tree, and therefore technical specifications
around what is allowed in it should be very conservative.  The above
outline gives the minimum change to permit IDNs in the top level,
without also leaving room for any other innovation in the labels
allowed.  It is worth noting that, since there are many commercial
interests at stake here, one must suppose that anything that _might_
be possible in the root will be tried by someone.  If that's right,
then one can argue on prudential grounds that 1123 needs to be
modified as little as possible to permit exactly the change we wish to
enable, and no other.

I will say that I am (personally, no hats) uneasy importing to the
technical constraints on top level labels what seem to me to be policy
considerations.  Such policy considerations seem to me to be the sort
of thing that ought to be handled in policy-making bodies set up for
the purpose.  At the same time, I accept the argument that there are
strong technical reasons to minimize the changes to rules about the
root zone, since we know there are many DNS-using systems in the world
built around fragile readings of various RFCs.  So I'm of two minds
about the position I've laid out above.

Best regards,

Andrew

--