On 9 mar 2009, at 19.16, David Conrad wrote:

This doesn't make any sense to me. I am fairly certain there will be a request to add the U-label "日本" (Japanese Kanji for Japan). This isn't alphabetic in any sense of the term.

To some degree it is, as the two characters are:

U+65E5 : Lo, Letter Other --> Alphabetic
U+672C : Lo, Letter Other --> Alphabetic

I.e. they have both the Unicode Properties of letters, and because of that the derived property "Alphabetic".

This compared to the character "7":

U+0037 : Nd, Decimal_Number digit --> Not Alphabetic

Interestingly, I tried a couple of IDN test tools (IMC's and NASK's) to convert that UTF-8 string into the appropriate A-label and both indicated there are invalid characters. I'm getting an uneasy feeling...

If you use a mac, let me recommend UnicodeChecker from http://earthlingsoft.net

   Patrik