> > I can't comment on that directive in particular (if indeed such a
> > directive with that name exists, per later mail) but in general I find
> > it a feature that a document with operational focus addressed to the
> > whole Internet should steer clear of regional policy requirements.

Agreed.

> Then commentary needs to be added to the Boiler Plate that no regional
> issues were addressed in the testing - hence a test bed based on the
> requirements for operating a data-center in the EU were not considered.

I see no way that "Directive 95/46/EC of the European Parliament and of
the Council of 24 October 1995 on the protection of individuals with
regard to the processing of *personal data and on the free movement of
such data*" (my emphasis) is relevant for this requirements document.

> That's OK but it means that many in the EU may not be able to deploy
> those protocols in their operating environments until those specific
> implementations are tested now that the audit world is waking up to its
> responsibilities under the digital evidence requirements globally.

I note that this is a directive from 1995. Yes, we have seen effects of
this directive, even here in Norway (not a EU member) - but I think you
are going way beyond what the EU directive is meant to cover when you
say it is relevant for the name server requirements document.

My opinins only, IANAL.

> If this turns out to be true - it will effect all IETF standards in use
> today in the EU.

The EU directive deals with explicitly *personal data* and the storage
and movement of such data. It does not deal with *all data*.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sth...@nethelp.no