On 22-Apr-2009, at 14:13, Peter Koch wrote:

this is to initiate a working group last call on

       "DNSSEC Trust Anchor Configuration and Maintenance"
         draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-trust-anchor-03.txt

ending Friday, 2009-05-08, 23:59 UTC. The tools site gives easy access to
diffs and such under
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-dnssec-trust-anchor-03>.

The document is aimed at a status of "Informational".

Please review the draft and send comments and/or statements of support or
non-support to the WG mailing list.
There will be a five reviewer threshold.

I have read this document and find it well-written and useful. A few somewhat minor improvements occurred to me, notes for which can be found below. I don't think any of them are tremendously substantive, and I think the document would still be accurate and useful if published as-is. I apologise for not reading the document and commenting earlier. I would be happy to suggest text in relation to any of the points below, if that seems useful.

In the second paragraph of section 1, there is an assertion that root zone signing is a prerequisite for "widespread public DNSSEC deployment". The text goes on to discuss islands of security. I am the last person to suggest that the root should not be signed yesterday, but I think it's possible for there to be widespread DNSSEC deployment without a signed root zone -- you just have more islands of security. I think that paragraph could be tidied up a little to make it clearer that the content that follows is useful without a signed root zone, just as it is useful with a signed root zone.

As I read section 2 I found myself expecting to see an example (as someone else here also mentioned). Perhaps this is because of the reference to the root hints file in the preceding section; the analogous advice there gives a presentation format (canonical zone format) while section 2 does not: it only provides guidance as to the type of data that should be used. I think the presentation format should be specified, with an example.

Section 4 does not provide guidance about updating a local trust anchor repository (e.g. a text file) based on the results of the trust anchor priming procedure which is described there. This seems like an important step; otherwise restarting a validator which has a really old trust anchor stored on disk might suddenly result in a priming failure, because of a key rollover elsewhere. I think storing updated trust anchors is implied by the text, but never really called out explicitly. I think explicit mention of it would be useful.

Given the apparent popularity of the IANA ITAR it might be worth mentioning it as one of the examples of a trusted update mechanism that does not use the DNS for trust anchor retrieval.

DLV provides another mechanism for obtaining trust anchors that a validator could use. It seems plausible that DLV could also be mentioned as another kind of DNSSEC In-Band Update mechanism, in addition to 5011.

Joe