In your previous mail you wrote:

=> there are places where cryptography is required to be implemented
in hardware, and many business reasons or even regulations which
mandate HSMs.

   But the risk for the key is not only people modifying it, it is simply
   people *reading* it (a concern which also exists for the database but
   is much less important).

   I have no practical experience with HSMs but, in my mind, the
   interesting thing is that they guarantee noone will read the key
   without an authorization (that's quite unlike the database where you
   certainly prefer a few unauthorized looks to a complete loss).

=> the main function of a HSM is to provide a key store where private
keys may not and cannot be extracted (i.e., not only the operation
is not allowed but the device is protected against common up to
all known ways to extract protected values). So it is possible
to misuse a HSM, for instance to make it to sign something, but
the keys can't leak.
In conclusion when HSMs are not an excuse to forget to carefully manage
DNSSEC servers, I have nothing at all against HSMs...

Regards

francis.dup...@fdupont.fr