[redirected to DNSOP]

Michael,

On Aug 25, 2009, at 1:50 PM, Michael Graff wrote:
All I'm saying is that I don't want someone to benchmark current DNS
implementations (which are likely optimized only for UDP) and then use
this as proof that the sky is falling.

What would you prefer us benchmark?

As you're aware, sometime in the near future, the root is going to be signed. Due to the way DNS server implementers interpreted RFC 3225, somewhere around 70% of the queries to the root will result in a DNSSEC response the day the root is signed (regardless of whether the querying resolver will do anything with the data). Based on studies done with DITL data, we have some reason to believe somewhere around 1-2% of the 10,000 queries per second at least one root server receives will fall back to TCP. While I am certain that the root server ICANN runs can easily handle the load, I do not know about the other root servers (I assume they can, but since they are all run independently and there are no publicly agreed upon standards or service level commitments, it is difficult to be confident) nor do I have the slightest clue about how much head room the other root servers have.

Since time is quite short for folks to upgrade their servers and given some root server operators are financially / operationally / politically constrained in how they would go about doing the upgrade, it seems to me that current DNS implementations are exactly what we should be benchmarking.

Regards,
-drc