* Jim Reid:

> On 15 Jan 2010, at 13:20, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> DO is rather pointless because the priming response cannot be
>> validated anyway (even if ROOT-SERVERS.NET were secure, which is
>> currently not planned).
>
> It's not pointless. Validating the priming response requires two
> operations. The first of these is checking the signature over the root
> zone's NS RRset. Which won't be returned unless the DO bit is set.
> [Let's avoid the rat-hole of a DNSSEC-aware resolver iteratively
> querying for DNSKEYs, RRSIGs and so on.]

I'm not sure this narrow perspective is helpful.  Given the amount of
work required to validate the priming response (which resolvers aren't
required to do until they see a client query for ./IN/NS, similar to
what happens with all the other NS RRsets), it really doesn't matter
if you send a DO=0 query first, to get the addresses (in the
additional section), and then a DO=1 query, to get the signature on
the NS RRset (in the answer section).

--
Florian Weimer                <fwei...@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99