On Jan 21, 2010, at 3:09 PM, Rose, Scott W. wrote:

> Perhaps the wording is a bit incorrect in that it an insider attack (the
> admin accessing the key) is not the biggest threat.  The ZSK is accessed
> more often and if it isn't on an HSM (or similar), there could be a risk
> that it could be exposed by someone other than the responsible DNS admin. Of
> course the use of an HSM minimizes this risk.
>
> How about this as suggested text?
>
> <t>
>        The motivation for having the ZSK's effectivity period
>        shorter than the KSK's effectivity period is rooted in the
>        operational consideration that the ZSK may be at more
>        risk of exposure as the ZSK is often used more frequently
>        (e.g. zone data updates, etc.). If ZSK's are maintained on
>        cryptographic Hardware Security Modules (HSM) than the
>        motivation to have different key effectivity periods is
>        weakend.
> </t>

I understand EKR's remark (thanks) in addition to the improvement Scott
suggested there is the argument that if a rollover remains a special event it
is bound to go wrong, while if it is part of regular operational procedure the
operators do not have to go through the learning curve. That argument works,
but not in the case that EKR brought up, if _the_ operator gets sacked the
rollover done by the new one is the first one that new operator does, she
wouldn't have the benefit of operational routine.

--Olaf
[nothing below, only context]