On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 04:14:03PM -0500, Edward Lewis wrote:

> I'm finding this discussion enlightening and interesting.

Me too.  I also think that discussion of exactly this sort belongs in
the advice we give to operators.  Understanding the trade-offs and the
reason for them is exactly what makes for selecting the right policies
given the operational considerations of the environment in which one
is working.  I don't think there's one answer for this question,
because what is right is surely related to other considerations.

For instance, despite what David says downthread about operational
realities and exercise, such exercise is a complete waste of time if
the person who does the work is different every time (as might well be
the case under a lot of outsourcing contracts).  In that circumstance,
Paul is probably right: the risk of blowing the key roll outweighs the
benefits of practice.

One also worries a little that many operations people (me included) so
often think "you need to practice this" includes "in production".
(But I haven't worked many places where I've had a real, true,
complete copy of my production systems just for running fire drills.)

Andrew Sullivan
a...@shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.