Andrew,

On Jan 21, 2010, at 1:29 PM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> For instance, despite what David says downthread about operational
> realities and exercise, such exercise is a complete waste of time if
> the person who does the work is different every time (as might well be
> the case under a lot of outsourcing contracts).

Err, no.  The exercises would not be a waste of time.

First time a scheduled roll botches, any rational organization would institute
policies and processes to ensure that such a botch does not reoccur.  First
time a scheduled roll botches with a new outsourced contractor, any rational
organization would institute policies and processes to ensure that such a botch
does not reoccur.  Etc.

There is a reason people have "fire drills" on a periodic schedule.  Folks
really concerned about operational readiness also have those drills on
unannounced schedules.

As Ed points out, the issues here are confused because of the assumption that
it is done for crypto security.  The crypto stuff is (in my mind) a side
benefit.

Regards,
-drc