I think we can skirt this rat-hole if we separate the two following
distinct cases:

Case A: "foo"
Case B: "foo." (with terminating "dot").

Case B meets the technical requirements of a Fully Qualified Domain
Name, structurally speaking.
Case A does not.

Case A is a "bare name", case B is not.

If we stick to the notions of FQDN versus anything else, we can avoid
entering the rat-hole, IMHO.

(I.e., We don't need to get into any issues over the number of labels
in an FQDN; an FQDN does not require treatment, special or otherwise;
etc., etc.,)

Brian Dickson