Hi Bill,

On 2012-02-06, at 14:12, <bmann...@vacation.karoshi.com>
<bmann...@vacation.karoshi.com> wrote:

> Thanks to Warren, Ed, John D., David C. and Kato-san for their
> comments/corrections.
> Any more?

I see you added some text based on our conversation in sunny Christchurch,
thanks for that. As promised, here's a summary of that conversation for the
list(s).

I think the document requires some substantial copy-editing. I've avoided
producing a list of spelling and grammar nits, since I think the clean-up would
be easier to do as a single pass through rather than by correcting individual
words and sentences. Substantive comments relating only to content follow.

1. Despite the definition of "server" in section 1, there are numerous examples
of text in following sections that use the word server in its original 2870
sense (i.e. with an implication that we're talking about individual, discrete
servers) despite the fact that architecture has moved on in the real root
server system since then. I recommend re-casting the whole document to talk
about the DNS service provided by root server operators as a service, and
focussing on the way that service is delivered rather than how "servers" are
operated.

2. I think this document should aim to provide recommendations and/or document
best current practice, rather than declaring that it provides requirements.
There is little or no contractual relationship between the organisations that
manage the root zone and the root server operators that serve it, and setting
requirements that by definition have no teeth seems out of sync with reality.
Providing recommendations that root server operators can confirm that they
follow seems entirely reasonable, however. Related, I don't understand why
there is 2119 normative language in this document.

3. In many places I find the "requirements" far too detailed; in my view they
impose specific architectural and operational choices on root server operators
when diversity in the root server system is desirable, and more obviously
achieved by a diversity of such choices. I think this document should limit
itself to carefully specifying the service being provided, and the desired
performance characteristics of that service.

For example, specifying that TSIG be used to secure zone transfers is
ill-advised, I think (I know that TSIG is used today). Specifying rather that
new root zone serials be authenticated and made available promptly (and
defining what promptly means) across each deployed root server service seems
better. The former is an implementation detail of the service as a whole; the
latter restricts the concern to what we actually care about, that changes
propagate swiftly and that unauthenticated updates never make it to the
query-answering edge.

I would like to see this document specify key performance indicators and
specify corresponding ranges of values that represent adequate service. I would
also like to see a recommendation that root server operators commit to publish
data corresponding to those KPIs, so that the community can gain confidence
that the root server system as a whole is performing adequately. I guess I'm
talking about something like a Service Level Agreement (although perhaps
Service Level Commitment would be better language, given the lack of
contractual relationships).

4. When it comes to security, different security policies would seem to fit
different deployment approaches. I think it's better to specify that individual
root server operators publish their security policy, and that this document
should outline what that security policy should contain. I don't think it's
useful to attempt to define a security policy that fits all deployed
infrastructure.

In summary, I think the document should be substantially reorganised. This
makes it difficult to provide a meaningful line-by-line critique. However, I am
very happy to put my money where my mouth is and copy-edit/reorganise along the
lines I'm thinking if that seems like a useful way to explain myself. I don't
think the -04 draft, even with copy-editing, is useful to publish as-is.

Joe