On Nov 1, 2013, at 7:57 AM, Derek Atkins <de...@ihtfp.com> wrote:
> It is unclear to me that ECC as a generic technology is bad, although
> any specific curves creates by NIST/NSA are certainly suspect.
>
> Having said that, Dual-EC-DRBG is a Random Number Generator, not a Hash,
> Public Key, or Cipher algorithm, and we don't use it in DNS for
> anything, AFAIK.

Random Number Generators are used to generate the key material, since bare
entropy is often not enough, so you use your entropy pool to seed a pRNG.
Bind, for example, ends up using OpenSSL.

Certified versions of OpenSSL do have Dual_EC_DRBG, although its not by default
(or is it?).

The threat is probably a lot less, however, since everything else signed in
DNSSEC-land is deterministic, and even if Dual_EC_DRBG was used, hopefully the
raw stream doesn't leak (the backdoor requires seeing some of the random output
to make it predictable).

--
Nicholas Weaver                  it is a tale, told by an idiot,
nwea...@icsi.berkeley.edu                full of sound and fury,