On 2014-02-04, at 01:39, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:

> I suppose the situation with .onion is slightly different, but in
> concept it's not all that different from .arpa.

I think it's quite different.

ARPA is really no different from any other TLD. There's a registry, there are
rules you need to follow to get a delegation, but it's a zone in the DNS just
like COM and ORG.

ONION is a namespace convention outside the DNS. There's no registry, it's not
a zone, and there is no possibility of getting a delegation.

ONION is like LOCAL. Neither are like ARPA (or any other TLD).

Joe