On 03/03/2014 01:43 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
> On Mar 3, 2014, at 1:32 PM, Tony Finch <d...@dotat.at> wrote:
>> As well as Joe's AS112 argument there is also the question of DNSSEC
>> validation - but perhaps we don't want non-DNS names to make any kind of
>> sense in this respect... cf. .local
>
> Indeed, it doesn't make much sense to me that special-use names that are not
> intended to be resolved using the DNS should be validateable via DNSSEC.   If
> they can be validated, it would have to be using whatever protocol is being
> used for name resolution (if any).

+1

This is something I asked about at the app session, and have been
wondering; (why) are we worried about non-dns names at all? More
importantly, where do we draw the line? "A domain by any other name?"

Is anything sequence of characters that happens to maybe contain a dot a
domain name? Is it that it *might* end up in some code path that tries
to resolve it, even though the normal use doesn't use (the global) DNS
at all?

To make a crazy example; the left-hand side of an e-mail address also
contains dots, but we're not worried about those somehow ending up in a
resolution call. Neither were we worried about 'command.com' being
resolved (and it does).

I'd think that a domain name is only a domain name when whatever
protocol it is defined in defines it as a domain name (or whatever
undefined protocol uses it in actual dns resolution). What a non-domain
name looks like shouldn't matter.

Jelte