On 3 Mar 2014, at 14:19, Warren Kumari <war...@kumari.net> wrote:

>   3.  The root zone nameservers should either return NXDOMAIN
>       AS112 nameservers.  (TODO(WK): WK, JA, BD to revive AS112 /
>       AS112-bis).

New-style AS112 proposes redirection to an empty zone rather than delegation.

There's no machinery currently available to deploy a DNAME in the root zone, as
far as I know. Since the IANA uses EPP to submit change requests to Verisign
for implementation, and since the implementation ("RZM") has not suffered from
rapid development in the past, I suspect (pragmatically speaking) this is a
non-starter.

Delegation of ALT from the root zone seems likely to be interpreted as a
provocative end-run around the new gTLD process and seems likely to raise
eyebrows, if not hairs on the backs of necks.

I don't see an obvious path forward here. We are in a maze of twisty passages,
all alike.

Joe