On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 04:41:17PM +0200, Jelte Jansen wrote:

> To implement client-subnet means to implement a form of views within
> your resolver in the form of split caches. If you don't implement it at
> all there is no problem, but it certainly does change the model of the
> world that resolvers have for those that do.

It changes the model of the world that resolvers _who implement this_
have.  The draft calls all of that out explicitly, I think (early
versions of the draft didn't adequately, I thought, but this one
certainly does in my reading).  A resolver that doesn't implement this
stuff is unaffected.  And what of a resolver that doesn't do this and
which is querying another resolver that does?  Well, of course, those
cases hurt in other ways too; but also, that's part of the risk of
deploying these tailored answers on the authoritative side anyway.  I
think that's out of scope for this document, though I'm certainly
prepared to work on another doc that talks about these issues.

Andrew Sullivan
a...@anvilwalrusden.com