one of the icann ssac (then "secsac") consensus processes i am most
proud to have been part of was this, in 2004:

http://www.icann.org/en/groups/ssac/report-redirection-com-net-09jul04-en.pdf

indeed, this document and the process followed in creating it may still
stand today, as ssac's finest hour.

see especially section 2.3, "design principles and good practice in the
internet technical community", starting on page 8.

unless i can think of anything new to say on this topic, this will be my
final comment on this thread.

consensus tally people: i'm "yes we must document it, but we must also
explicitly withhold recommendation of it, both in the introduction
section and in some kind of applicability section down near the iana
considerations."

vixie