On 05/20/2014 12:12 AM, David C Lawrence wrote:

> Looking at a random high-traffic DNS server on our network, I see
> practically no use at all of _http._tcp SRV requests.  Over 6 days of
> logs on this machine, they are just over 0.00007% of all requests.
> (Yes, that decimal point is right.)  Exactly 90% of them are for the
> same hostname, with a name that implies to me that one application,
> not a web browser, is responsible for all of them.

That's technically 0.00007% too many, as the SRV RFC specifically
mentions not to use it for protocols if there's isn't a document stating
how to exactly use it with that protocol (mainly, as Ohta-san already
mentioned, what to do with apparent data conflicts and a security
considerations section), so right now browsers are not supposed to use
SRV for http requests.

That certainly doesn't mean we shouldn't go forwards and try to
introduce such a document together with the http people. I never did
find out why Mark's proposal didn't take.

Regardless of whether we should go forwards with ENAME, btw. I think
having SRV for http would be nice anyway.

Jelte