Tony Finch wrote:

>> What? A CNAME, redirection purely within DNS, rewrites an email
>> address?
>
> See RFC 1123 section 5.2.2. This requirement was dropped in RFC 2821 and
> successors.

Perhaps, it is a misunderstanding of a suggestion of rfc974:

   Note that the algorithm to delete irrelevant RRs breaks if LOCAL has
   a alias and the alias is listed in the MX records for REMOTE.  (E.g.
   REMOTE has an MX of ALIAS, where ALIAS has a CNAME of LOCAL).  This
   can be avoided if aliases are never used in the data section of MX
   RRs.

and is just wrong from the beginning. Then, we don't have to
think about it any more.

                                        Masataka Ohta