On 21.05.2014 13:30, Masataka Ohta wrote:
Klaus Malorny wrote:

Sure, but I am talking of about 5-20 variants per name, not all that are
combinatorially possible.

I'm afraid you don't distinguish "name" and "label".

Anyway, what if you encounter a label with 21 variants?

Are you saying registries MUST reject registrations requests for
domain names, if the numbeer of variants exceed 20?

Note that a single Chinese character frequently used in Japan
have, at least as I quickly checked, 6 variants, which means
your limit can easily and naturally be exceeded.

Or, how many variants, do you think, a '-' character, which
is a legal ASCII character for hostnames, have?

The idea is that the registrant simply decides which of the variants he wants to have included with his original name. Those would be added to the zone via redirection resource records, whatever available. When he reaches a registry given limit, he has to make a trade-off, which of the possible variants he regards as most valuable for his purpose. From my perspective, this is an acceptable compromise. Otherwise, the only solution to cope with the exponential number of variants would be to add logic about human languages and scripts directly into the name servers that serve the respective TLD. They would have to identify the base name, and synthesize and sign respective answers on the fly. Besides the technical challenge, I am sure ICANN would not be pleased about this (thinking of zone file access, escrow and the explicit ban of redirecting unregistered names as Verisign once did, which resembles this approach).

Regards,

Klaus