Kevin Darcy <k...@chrysler.com> wrote:

> But if we're going to assign "magic meaning" to something, why not
> assign "magic meaning" to the null address
> *specifically*in*the*context*of*SMTP*message*delivery*strategy*, i.e.
> auto-fail messages destined for the null address and never retry them?

Because that will have horrible fallout for existing software that does
not undestand the magic meaning.

@ MX 0 . already has the correct semantics; the only magic in the nullmx
spec is to suppress the A and AAAA lookups because they will always fail.

> "must not be used as the destination address of IPv6 packets or in IPv6
> Routing headers"
>
> I haven't gone back to see if the IPv4 null address has been similarly
> clarified/redefined, because, who still uses IPv4 anyway? :-)

Yes, 0.0.0.0 is only for use as a source address.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
South-east Iceland: Variable 3 or 4, becoming southeasterly 5 or 6 for a time