Hi Chris,

I went quiet on this thread because I was going to try this out in a lab before
commenting further, but since I haven't done that and you had something to
say...

On 20 Aug 2014, at 12:50, Chris Thompson <c...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Aug 14 2014, Joe Abley wrote:
>
> [...]
>> It seems to me that no delegation is a perfectly reasonable steady state,
>
> It fails to break the chain of trust. Because a validator can "prove" that
> the names in the putative subzone do not exist, it will consider locally
> defined content "bogus".

Doesn't this depend on how you do it?

(a) If your resolvers are all configured as authoritative for the zones that
you want special treatment for (e.g. 239.in-addr.arpa, 64.100.in-addr.arpa) I
think the expected behaviour is that they will return that authoritative data

So, for example, if your BIND9 recursive server has a bunch of "type master" or
"type slave" zones, stub resolvers will get answers regardless of the presence
or absence of RRSIGs, secure delegations elsewhere, etc.

(b) If your resolvers are configured with those special zones as "forward" type
zones (again, using BIND9 language) and the local authoritative servers for
those zones are separate, is the behaviour different? I had thought it was the
same as (a).

(c) If you are providing service for particular zones locally by hijacking the
traffic intended for the real servers out on the Internet, then it does seem
likely that your answers are going to be ignored as bogus by a validator.

Since (c) is about the hardest and most unsupportable way of doing this, I
hadn't thought it much of a problem (the mitigation is "well, don't do it like
that"). Am I wrong about (a) and (b)?

Joe