On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 12:17:25PM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:
> If they fail it can
> fallback to making iterative queries or just accept the failure.

I'd quibble with this bit: if it can make iterative queries, then we
might as well just call it a validating resolver.

IMHO the thing we're describing is an application that gets DNS service
from a recursive resolver, but validates the answers rather than trusting
them implicitly.  It needs to be able to send the resolver a succession of
queries to obtain the chain of trust, but it's not going to be iterating
down from the root.

The "delv" utility that ships with BIND 9.10 is an example.

--
Evan Hunt -- e...@isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.