In message <d0782276.73d89%...@asgard.org>, Lee Howard writes:

> On 10/23/14 5:17 PM, "Mark Andrews" <ma...@isc.org> wrote:
>

> >In message <d06e91ee.72e46%...@asgard.org>, Lee Howard writes:
> >>
> >> From:  Mwendwa Kivuva <kiv...@transworldafrica.com>
> >> Date:  Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:23 AM
> >> To:  dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>
> >> Subject:  [DNSOP] Draft Reverse DNS in IPv6 for Internet Service
> >>Providers

> >>purposes, wha
> >>
> >> There is a common expectation that ISPs will populate PTR records for
> >>their
> >> customers.
> >>
> >> In my opinion, that is an unreasonable expectation, since ISPs do not
> >>have
> >> host names for customers, so they usually make up a name. That seems
> >>pretty
> >> useless to me. However, I don't think that is a consensus opinion, so
> >>it's
> >> not what the draft says.
> >
> >But it is not unreasonable to delegate a zone or to accept DNS UPDATE
> >requests
> >from the host you have just assigned a IP address to over TCP.
>
> Not sure of the antecedent of "you."  If "you" are a DHCPv6 server, you
> are not necessarily a DNS server authoritative for the ip6.arpa zone in
> question and capable of accepting DNS updates. Especially if "you" are a
> DHCPv6 server on a home router.
>
> You (Mark Andrews, not the servers) have proposed mechanisms for
> facilitating that communication; that would help.
>

> >     zone "ip6.arpa" {
> >             update-policy { grant * tcp-self * ptr; };
> >     };
> >
> >     reverse=`arpaname ${ip_address}`
> >     hostname=`hostname`
>

> And residential hosts only know hostname, not domain name; is
> "myMacBook.local" useful as a PTR?  I haven't checked with users of PTRs
> to see what they think.

Which is basically because home users have been treated as second
class citizen on the Internet.  They couldn't get permanent addresses
as they had to be re-used just to keep the net working.  This is
no longer true with IPv6.

Lots of home users do actually have registered domainnames.   If you
make it simpler lots more will.

If you don't have a domain add a PTR record that points to <name>.itself
with a A / AAAA record which corresponds.

myMacBook.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.ip6.arpa
is a legal hostname.  You could also strip it back to the /64 or /48.

myMacBook.1.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa is a legal hostname.

1.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa PTR myMacBook.1.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa
myMacBook.1.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa A 192.168.0.1

The ISP could have a "home" and customers could have a name delegated
from it as part of their package.   myMacBook.name.example.com

There are lots of ways to get a name.

ICANN could open up ".home" to residential customers.

Australia has "id.au" which is designed for low cost / zero cost delegations.
I have andrews.wattle.id.au for $0.

There days there really is no reason not to run servers at home.
I would bet that over 50% of households already run servers at home though
not all of these would be currently open to the world.  I expect that
number to increase.

I also expect homes with registered domains to increase as the
automation in the home increases.  There is something nice about
being able to tell airconditioners etc. to turn on when you leave
work so the room is a reasonable temperature.

There is something nice about being able to stream movies from your
home video system regardless of where you are in the world.

I'm sure lots of other things will come along to make use of homes having
registered domains in the future.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC