On Wed, Nov 05, 2014 at 12:50:42PM -0800, Paul Vixie wrote:
> the lack of consensus means it can't be a proposed standard, not that it
> can't be an FYI, BCP or similar, right?

AFAIK we were planning only for informational.  The chairs called
WGLC, it ran, there was some ranting, then some months later one of
the chairs told me that they weren't sure what to do.  To publish
something as a WG document, you still need consensus to get it out of
the group.

> the fact of the network is, without a PTR you will have a hard time
> originating TCP/25. we should say that.

You'd think.  Here's the fully-watered text on that topic that the WG
still couldn't agree to:

   Some anti-spam systems use the reverse tree to verify existing
   reverse mapping, or to check for matching reverse mapping.  Some mail
   servers have the ability to perform such checks at the time of
   negotiation, and to reject mail from hosts that do not have matching
   reverse mappings for their hostnames.  These PTR checks sometimes
   include databases of well-known conventions for generic names (for
   example, PTR records for dynamically-assigned hostnames and IP
   addresses), and may allow complicated rules for quarantining or
   filtering mail from unknown or suspect sources.  Even some very large
   ISPs are reported to refuse mail from hosts without a reverse
   mapping.  Often, the reverse map check is not used on its own, but is
   used as part of a scoring system in an attempt to indicate the
   probability that a given email message is spam.

> another fact is, not everyone who should be able to (non-maliciously)
> access your web service will have a PTR. we should say that, too.

Again, fully watered-down:

   Especially in the absence of strong anti-spoofing mechanisms, like
   the DNS Security Extensions, a check for matching reverse DNS mapping
   should be regarded as an extremely weak form of authentication.

[…]

   Reverse mapping tests can give the administrator a false sense of
   security.  There is little evidence that a reverse mapping test
   provides much in the way of security (see above), and may make
   troubleshooting in the case of DNS failure more difficult.
[…]

   Applications should not rely on reverse mapping for proper operation,
   although functions that depend on reverse mapping will obviously not
   work in its absence.  Operators and users are reminded that the use
   of the reverse tree, sometimes in conjunction with a lookup of the
   name resulting from the PTR record, provides no real security, can
   lead to erroneous results and generally just increases load on DNS
   servers. Further, in cases where address block holders fail to
   properly configure reverse mapping, users of those blocks are
   penalized.

Re-reading it today, it seems to me the text was altogether milquetoast.

Andrew Sullivan
a...@anvilwalrusden.com