In message <16VeoWCqs8UUFA$s...@highwayman.com>, Richard Clayton writes:

> In message <5453adcd.7090...@redbarn.org>, Paul Vixie <p...@redbarn.org>
> writes
>
> >and yet, every proposal i've seen concerning IPv6 PTR screams silently,
> >"PTR is an old-internet concept which no longer applies." it's as if we
> >were trying to placate a bunch of apps that didn't understand classless
> >inter-domain routing (CIDR) with its variable length prefixes, and
> >rather than fix the apps, we're synthesizing acceptable metadata for
> >them, at great complexity cost, and zero information benefit.
>
> I entirely agree ... the fact that reverse DNS works as a heuristic (and
> not an especially key heuristic) for IPv4 is not a reason for the
> considerable effort required to try and make it work as a an equally
> flawed heuristic on IPv6.
>
> Beside the cost of creating the data and fetching it, there's the cost
> of caching it when people change the IP for every email sending attempt

If you don't look it up it doesn't cost anything to cache.

Additionally a negative response is *bigger* and is more costly to
cache especially if it is a signed negative response.  If you are
worries about cache size you *want* PTR records to be returned.

> What recipients really wish to know when they receive a connection is
> how much address space is controlled by the connecting entity so that a
> consistent reputation can be applied to all connections from that space.
>
> Whether they construct that reputation themselves or acquire it from a
> broker is not relevant -- they want to apply it to all addresses that a
> sender controls.
>
> We approximate this in IPv4 by using /32s (since few people control more
> than a /24 -- so we get within a factor of 250 -- and there are not all
> that many /18s and above ... so we can manually inspect the traffic from
> each one on its merits, and yes there's a gap there).
>
> We just can't use the same approximations for IPv6, but the reverse DNS
> system is one place where we could store attestations about delegation
> of address space ...
>
> ... if we don't build such a system where this information can be stored
> for anyone to access for free then we're all going to end up paying
> another set of brokers for the data needed to provide the granularity
> measures our reputation systems must use
>
> - --
> Dr Richard Clayton                         <richard.clay...@cl.cam.ac.uk>
>                                   tel: 01223 763570, mobile: 07887 794090
>                     Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge, CB3 0FD

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: ma...@isc.org