knowing its not the root issue, I would like to remind people the RIR
system for rDNS delegation is almost entirely automatic from our various
portals, and WHOIS based nserver mechanisms. Its not hard to do the top
part. We're not roadblocking.

We don't have any failure to delegate the parent blocks facing down: Its
people's willingness to invest energy on the various different approaches
to the sub-delegation engines inside your own block management, be it
embedded in the NMS or some kind of customer facing provisioning web portal
or whatever.

What we don't do, (noting 6to4 reverse as a very specific counter-case) is
permit 'hop over' in the delegation chain because its got issues regarding
'who said you could do that' we don't want to prod. The delegation sequence
really has to be top down if you have sub-delegation state.

Personally, and it is only my personal view, I like some of the older ideas
for semi-machine generated and wildcarded reverse I saw presented at the
RIPE ROME meeting. And I see some value in sign-on-the-fly work.

I think rDNS remains potential for big value. I can't verbalize it well,
but it has qualities about trust which for me could be useful. Its
volountarist nature is a huge counter argument as you've all exposed here:
can't depend on it. coverage is low.

-G