Dear colleagues,

I have read draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names-03.  I have some
comments.

In section 3, the definition of NXDOMAIN isn't actually necessary;
this was defined in RFC 2308.

I think it's great that the authors of this document have broken out
the specialness of each kind of name, according to the criteria of RFC
6761.  This is very helpful, because it allows each name to be
considered independently.  I do think it would be rather better if
they were broken apart into separate documents -- or at least broken
into groups of interdependent names -- because some of these names
seem to me to be more problematic than others.

Each of the names' special-processing sections includes a requirement
(in item 6) that DNS server operators not provide resolution for names
beneath the pseudo-TLD in question.  I hope the authors do not imagine
that this will prevent any server operator from answering queries for
such names; there is effectively no way to make this guarantee, which
is part of the risk of using DNS-like names that are not actually in
the DNS.  It seems that ought to be pointed out in the security
considerations.

For each of these names, it would be nice to see an argument as to why
the names need to be TLDs as opposed to being located elsewhere in the
tree.  Given the fairly wide deployment of Tor, it's probably too late
to fix onion and exit; but the other cases seem to be pretty lightly
deployed, and I think one probably needs a strong argument for why we
ought to be encroaching on the global namespace this way.  In the
draft, at least the motivations for onion and exit are made clear.
It's a little harder to find the motivation for i2p, gnu, and zkey;
but if you follow the references, you can figure it out.

The same cannot be said for bit.  The specification for it that is
referred to in the draft is, to put it charitably, rather sketchy.  It
appears, however, that bit is an attack on the existing IANA-managed
name registration system.  There appears to be a namecoin business
model and fees, and there are claims on
https://wiki.namecoin.info/index.php?title=Register_and_Configure_.bit_Domains
about "owning" the domain.  I think it is completely illegitimate to
use the IANA special-use names registry to try to circumvent the
administrative arrangements undertaken by the IANA operator of the
global namespace (regardless of how one might feel about that
operator's stewardship of the global namespace or the policies,
financial or otherwise, governing the root zone).  There seems to be
no technical advantage that bit is enabling (cf. "special handling of
a name is required in order to implement some desired new
functionality", from RFC 6761) apart from the trick of removing name
registration activities from the DNS and putting them in the hands of
someone else, with policies and protocols that are not well specified.
I therefore do not believe that this I-D should proceed until either
bit is removed from it, or a justification for the registration of bit
is added to the document.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
a...@anvilwalrusden.com