On 01/05/2015 02:44 PM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> I have read draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names-03.  I have some
> comments.

*** Thank you Andrew for taking the time to review this draft.  We shall
take your suggestions into account in the next draft.  I'm commenting a
couple of things here in order to clarify our position.

> For each of these names, it would be nice to see an argument as to why
> the names need to be TLDs as opposed to being located elsewhere in the
> tree.

*** A common denominator of all 6 pTLDs is that they do not use the DNS
tree hierarchy.  It's not that they don't want to, but that their
technical approach, both in terms of objectives and solutions, make them
incompatible with a centralized, hierarchic name assignation and resolution.

> It appears, however, that bit is an attack on the existing IANA-managed
> name registration system.

*** I'm very sorry to read that.  It reminds me the claims that the
automobile industry is an attack on the horse-carriage, or that the
optical drive is an attack on the cassette recorder: it has zero
technical value and seems not to have its place on an IETF mailing list.

The naming system of .bit uses a public ledger based on the technology
introduced with Bitcoin.  This is a technical approach that has the same
justification of the DNS tree or a fridge (sorry for the latter example,
I'm in Buenos Aires, and the temperature is certainly affecting my
brain): it works and does what it is supposed to do.

.bit, as the other P2P names proposed in our draft, in common, for they
share commonalities, should be considered for their technical merits and
not the political agenda of third parties.

Regards,

==
hk