On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 9:17 PM, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:
>>> First, for a same transaction, the cost from using TCP may be more than the
>>> gain from the queries you save, which may ultimately let the performance
>>> become even worse. Do you have any consideration on this?
>>
>>And also, if already doing tcp the the auth server, why not just ask the
>>4 questions asynchronously over the TCP channel, instead of waiting to
>>see if the server will give you a freebie, where you might have to send
>>another query (After the RTT) for the data?
>
> In most cases, you won't know what other questions to ask until you
> get the initial response back.  In some cases, e.g., domains used in
> web pages, you won't know the other questions until you've done a lot
> of other work, too.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is a good idea, but the motivation makes sense.

I'm also not sure that it is a good idea - it may be a case of
premature optimization (30 years on :-)), but I figured it was worth
discussing. It seems that there are a number of places where it might
make things harder^w, better, stronger, faster
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2cYWfq--Nw&t=0m50s), and doesn't
really violate the spec (too much!)

I'm surprised that no-one has yet commented on the 'Let's just co-opt
the Z bit for this' - I'm guessing that folk are not sure if I'm
kidding or not, and are scared to ask :-)

> R's,
> John

idea in the first place.
of pants.