On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 10:08:00PM -0800, Paul Vixie wrote:
> you've left the box i thought we were standing in. CNAME chains are
> already returned by authorities, if in your above example, the alias and
> the canonical name are served by the same authority server.

Didn't we decide a while back that this was a bad idea, that resolvers
needed to stop trusting CNAME chains sent by authorities, and that
authorities really ought to stop sending them?

The reasoning as I remember it: If I ask the server for vix.su a question,
and it helpfully provides an answer in redbarn.org, I have only its own
assurances that it *is* in fact authoritative for redbarn.org; the answer
can't be trusted until I've chased delegations to redbarn.org too.  Even if
I'm DNSSEC-validating your responses, you *could* be replaying an outdated
answer with a still-valid signature, so I'm safest if I resolve each name
in the CNAME chain separately.

(I vividly remember a thread about this three or four years ago, but I'm
having poor luck with the grepping.)

--
Evan Hunt -- e...@isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.