> Mark Andrews <mailto:ma...@isc.org>
> Saturday, January 24, 2015 2:44 PM
> In message <54c40d28.7050...@redbarn.org>, Paul Vixie writes:
> Pipeling over UDP has been standard practice between nameservers for
> 25 years. Why are we even worrying about whether it should be
> permitted over TCP?

because tcp has been a fallback-only for all these years, and someone
who wasn't pipelining or wasn't checking txid would never have been
penalized for it.

> We should also stop thinking of the installed base as something
> that cannot be changed.  This is particularly true of authoritative
> servers.  We can identify broken servers.  We can inform their
> operators that they are broken.

mark, you and i know better than anybody that this approach doesn't
work. it didn't work for lame delegation checking, it hasn't worked for
EDNS, and it's so much of a risk in DNSSEC that we're now discussing
ways that an RDNS operator can turn off validation for signed zones
rather than signal failures on failed lookups.

>   RFC 1033 even detailed how to do
> this.

RFC 1033's complaint process contemplated a network of about the size of
the pre-NSFnet "ARPAnet", and could have scaled anyway as far as the
size of the pre-commercial "NSFnet". it can work for Internet2. but it's
not going to work on the big-eye Internet as we know it today.

paul