On 24Jan15, Paul Vixie allegedly wrote:

> could violate older implementations' reasonable-at-the-time assumptions,
> against the burden of choosing a non-interfering signal pattern, like a
> new port number, or a new protocol verb.

Does it have to be that drastic? Wouldn't an EDNS option "I understand
out-of-order" be enough? Once seen in a TCP session it would hold true
until closed. The non-presence of such an option could then entrench
the in-order assumptions that may exist in the installed base.

> i expected that DNS-over-HTTP would work the same as WWW-over-HTTP,
> which is to open multiple parallel TCP/80 (or TCP/443) sessions if
> parallelism is required.

If DNS over HTTP is really being considered, would it be better to
start with HTTP/2.0 as the base protocol rather than 1.* then you get
parallel for "free".

Mark.