In your previous mail you wrote:

>  If you see a use case for the EDNS tcp-keepalive option as originally
>  discussed, please say so, on the list, by February 4, 2015.

=> I have one (more later).

>  If you want to pursue the connection-close draft, please say so, on the
>  list, by February 4, 2015, especially if you're willing to work on it.

=> I can't see what is the benefit of this proposal because:
 - RFC 1035 already said the connection close should be initiated by
  the client
 - almost all current clients send a single query and close the connection
  when they receive the response
 - a server is allowed to close a connection when it wants (more later)

BTW the 2 proposals are not incompatible, the first (tcp-keepalive)
is just more powerful and can provide the same function than the second
(connection-close) with a server sending a zero timeout option
(note the draft says 0 codes infinity, IMHO this must be changed).

(more details)

I don't understand some of the discussion about TCP and  out-of-order
query on the fly on a TCP connection I can't believe it doesn't know
to map responses to queries using the transaction ID. Nevertheless
the next bind code will provide an access-list to disable out-of-order
is a good example of something without bounds...

To come back to the tcp-keepalive option, I believe it is a better
alternative for a client than sending junk queries to keep the connection
not idle. And it can be used the other ways, i.e., by signaling a smaller
timeout, and for the from server to client signaling.

Now about the DNS over TCP scaling issue: as I said at the last meeting
DNS over TCP won't scale until servers will be allowed to use any
timeout they want, including a zero timeout (which means the connection
is closed if there is no pending query to read).

Regards

francis.dup...@fdupont.fr (and also fdup...@isc.org)