In your previous mail you wrote:

>  Francis, while my own thinking goes further-- an initiator should
>  not leave a persistent TCP session idle, even for a microsecond,
>  unless the responder has signaled its approval of such strategy--

=> it is what RFC 1035 said so a bit difficult to change in a drastic way.

>  I do also agree with your observation above.

=> thanks. BTW as pipelining initiators are very rare we have still time
to fix it.

>  Have you considered an appropriate signal path for negotiation of
>  this kind?

=> IMHO the tcp-keepalive option is a good start point as it indicates
the critical value and can be extended to be two ways (i.e., both client
-> server and server -> client).

Thanks

francis.dup...@fdupont.fr